Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dirt Crit Rd2 - Now what do I do?

Tue Night Dirt Criterium Round 2 in Garvey Park and I was looking forward to it after having a great time in the inaugural event last Tue night. Nigel, Scott, Dave, Gregor, Reece were all there wtih Lorraine recruited for Lap counting being there to support Nick, and Chris turned up with a none to happy expression with a late light failure ruling him out. Kim came along for a look, I was looking longinly at the beer in his hand.....crack out a few laps first then a well earned one I told myself.

A grade took off, then us B graders 3min later. Nigel did well to take the lead into the first single track with myself in 3rd. Coming onto the loop out the back I took a corner well and found myslf in the lead.........first time leading a race ever.........Now what do I do?...........I managed to stay ahead to the hairpin and promptly fell off! Pure lack of ability stack, went down hard. Got myself back together and managed to get back in about 10th as I watched the train zip past.

Found a bit more slower traffic in the single track this week, which was a welcome breather really. ended up having a great battle with 2 guys swapping positions a number of times. KOM guy was smashing me in the sand cyclocross style jumping off and running like a rabbit. On the last lap I tried his method and clipped out my right foot and swung it around ready to run. It worked a treat. The other guy I was battling in Black and White kit got me coming into the finish, I didn't have an answer.

Saw Nick going well, Scott and Gregor out in course, Lorraine had the catering covered, thanks. Seems Nigel came 4th. great effort and we had a great post mortem with all the riders at the finish line. Gregor had a good race and won  the "Fashions on the Field" award with his Ashley Simpson Skank outfit. Seems like B grade had some great racing and with the new rule of first 3 step up a grade I look forward to the next one. Reece almost pulled off a last corner move to snatch 1st in A Grade but just didn't pull it off. Great fun hope to see a few more familiar faces next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment